- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stalk coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot coarsely chopped
- 1 pound ground chuck beef
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup flat-leaf Italian parsley chopped
- 8 fresh basil leaves chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
In a large skillet heat the olive oil. When almost smoking, add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat until the onions become very soft, about 8 minutes.
Add the celery and carrot and sauté for 5 minutes.
Raise heat to high and add the ground beef. Sauté, stirring frequently and breaking up any large lumps and cook until meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, parsley and basil and cook over medium low heat until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper. This will take approximately ½ hour.
Finish bolognese with Pecorino Romano.
- Add to your favorite pasta.
© Recipe courtesy of Giada de Laurentiis from Giadzy.
MARCH WINE CLUB:
MELLOW WINE STYLE
The Reguta Merlot is ruby red in color, tending to garnet with age. The nose displays a vibrant, varietal perfume subtler when young, and becomes extremely pleasurable after aging.
Analysis: 12.5% alcohol / volume
Serving Temperature: 50ºF-53.6ºF
Food Pairings: Pair with meat based risotto or pasta, boiled meat, or rabbit stew.
The Reguta winery was founded in 1928 by Ettore Anselmi. Today, the winery is still owned and operated by the Anselmi Family in Pocenia in the Italian region of Friuli-Venezia Giulia. Second and third generations – Giuseppe and Luigi Anselmi and their sons continue the family’s traditions while expanding their high quality products. Located in a microclimate next to the Adriatic Sea, the winery boasts 250 hectares of vineyards. The soils are clayey in nature with a sandy component – allowing optimal development of the vine and an ideal habitat to produce and mature generous fruits.