PARMESAN POLENTA WITH SAUSAGE RAGU
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 red onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped basil leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups polenta (not quick-cooking)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium-high; add sausage and cook, breaking it into small (almost meatball-like)pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned, 5 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add tomatoes and boil; simmer until thick, 30-40 minutes. Add basil, vinegar, kosher salt, and pepper; keep warm.
- When sauce is nearly ready, bring sea salt and 5 cups water to a boil in a 4-qt. saucepan; slowly add polenta and cook, stirring constantly, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy, 8 minutes. Remove from heat and add butter, 1⁄2 cup Parmesan cheese, and kosher salt. Divide between bowls and top with ragù; garnish with more Parmesan cheese.
© Recipe courtesy of Pedroncelli.
MAY WINE CLUB:
Casas del Toqui
Barrel Series Merlot
Cachapoal Valley D.O., Chile
MELLOW WINE STYLE
This Barrel Series Merlot has an intense ruby red color with hints of violet. The nose is complex and intense with notes of tobacco, chocolate and spices. It has nice tannins on the palate with interesting volume and good persistence.
Varietal: 100% Merlot
Analysis: 13.5% alcohol / volume
Region: Cachapoal Valley D.O., Chile
Viticulture: Vertical espalier
Vinification: Fermentation at 80.6ºF-84.2ºF, post fermentation maceration and aged in oak barrels for 8 months.
Closure: Natural Cork
Serving Suggestion: Serve between 60.8ºF-64.4ºF
Food Pairing: Serve with game meats and casseroles.
ABOUT CASAS DEL TOQUI:
Casas del Toqui Winery was created with the intention to develop and produce high quality fine wines, to be shared both domestically and internationally. They are committed to excellence by continuously managing their quality, labor safety and environmental sustainability; allowing them to be a role model for the Chilean wine industry. Their philosophy is to achieve maximum balance, quality and identity to each of their wines, to ensure they are a direct reflection of their terroirs. Learn more about the winery here.