EGGPLANT CAPONATA PASTA SAUCE
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 teaspoon koshers salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Bella Cucina Wild Oregano & Sage salt
- 1 -23 ounce jar Bella Cucina Sugo Peperonata
- 1 Tablespoon Bella Cucina Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- fresh Basil Leaves
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
NOTE: Bella Cucina products available at select WineStyles locations
- Cut eggplant into small dice. Sprinkle with kosher salt and let drain in a colander for 10 minutes. Squeeze out any excess moisture and blot dry with a towel.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil. Add the eggplant with the salt. Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is cooked and lightly browned, almost crisped but not burned. Add the pasta sauce and pesto. Continue to cook, covered, over low heat for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Toss with pasta and garnish with fresh basil leaves and toasted pine nuts.
© Recipe courtesy of Bella Cucina.
JUNE WINE CLUB:
M by Martellotto
Portico Hills Vineyard
Santa Barbara County, California
BOLD WINE STYLE
This Grenache is fresh and brilliant with dark blackberries and crushed black cherry fruit. It is exceptionally natural, but has a medium acidity and a fruit-focused approach that makes this wine “lip-smacking delicious”. The wine is concentrated, but light on the mouth with an appealing finish that ultimately, leads to easy drinking.
Vineyard: Portico Hills Vineyard
Fermentation: Stainless steel tanks
Aging: Rested in mostly neutral French Oak for 15 months
Production: Only 525 cases produced
ABOUT THE WINEMAKER:
Greg Martellotto has been making wine since 2005. His path led him to winemaking experiences in Mexico, Italy, Napa Valley, Paso Robles, and Santa Barbara. He holds a degree in Biological Sciences from Stanford University and a Masters degree from the University of Texas. His global wine experience has provided opportunity to travel to most of the major winemaking regions of the world as both a buyers and a consumer, which informs his style. Equally important and unique among most winemakers, Greg’s experience as an importer and wine buyer provides insider’s access to the greatest wines and wineries in the world. In this capacity, he regularly tastes more than 400 wines per month— it’s safe to say, he knows great wine!
ABOUT MARTELLOTTO WINERY:
The Martellotto family roots trace back to 17th century winery in Alberobello in Puglia, Italy. Over four centuries later, winemaker Greg Martellotto continues his family’s viticultural legacy, by making enticing, vibrant wines what speak to his own viticultural passion. Since 2005, Martellotto Winery has produced unique and exciting wines designed to surprise and ignite discerning palates of wine lovers everywhere— Greg strays away from mass produced wines that are squeaky clean, uniform and less interesting. Greg starts with healthful and sustainably farmed grapes. Then, by combining creative fermentation techniques with artistic blending techniques before bottling, the Martellotto Winery is able to produce distinctive and delicious wines. Learn more here.
Join our WINE CLUB and enjoy these amazing wines and pairing recipes each month. Plus, you’ll receive 10% off all retail wine purchases!