Braised Pork Shoulder w/ Fennel & Sage
- 1 (3 1⁄2 -lb) pork shoulder or butt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 tbsp cold butter (divided)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 bulbs fennel, cored & sliced lengthwise into 1⁄2 inch thick pieces
- 7 sage leaves, plus extra
- 1 cup Merlot
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cups beef or chicken stock
- Set aside pork until room temperature (1 to 1 1/2 hours), season generously with salt & pepper.
- Pre-heat oven 325°F.
- Melt oil and 1Tbsp butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add pork, fat-side down and sear on one side for 3-4 minutes. Repeat on all sides until sizzling, but not scorched. Transfer heat to a platter, then remove fat from the pan drippings and discard the fat.
- Heat 2 Tbsp butter in the Dutch oven over medium heat. Add shallot & fennel and sauté for 10 minutes, or until tender and caramelized. Add sage and cook for 1 minute.
- Stirring constantly, pour in Merlot (wine) and cook for 7-10 minutes…until reduced to a quarter of the original amount.
- Add pork, fat side up, bay leaves, salt & pepper to the Dutch oven containing the wine, shallot, fennel, and sage.
- Pour in stock and bring to a simmer, then partially cover and cook in the oven for 1 1⁄2 -2 hours, until pork is fork tender.
- Uncover and cook for 15 minutes (Basting/spooning occasionally).
- With a slotted spoon, transfer pork, fennel, & shallot to a platter.
- Strain remaining sauce and bring to simmer, skimming any fat. Set aside. Whisk in 2 Tbsp cold butter and simmer for 30 seconds.
- Ladle sauce over the pork, then garnish with a few sage leaves, fennel slaw and finishing salt. Serve with Two Mountain Merlot and enjoy!
- © Recipe courtesy of Josh Henderson, Huxley Wallace Collective.
OCTOBER WINE CLUB:
Two Mountain Winery
Yakima Valley, Washington
BOLD WINE STYLE
Nestled in the Yakima Valley wine region of Washington State, Two Mountain Winery produces approachable, handcrafted wines that are worth saving for that special occasion, but are accessibly priced for a casual dinner with family and friends. Established in 2002, Two Mountain is a family-owned operation that draws on the experience of three generations who have farmed the rich soil of the Yakima Valley. Brothers Matthew and Patrick Rawn own and operate the winery and estate vineyard, overseeing every aspect of the winemaking process from the grapes to the glass. Inspired by majestic Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams that form the breathtaking backdrop of the Estate Copeland Vineyard, their award-winning wines are a reflection of the perfect climate in which they were grown.
Aromas of rich toasted barrel, bright vibrant Bing cherry, blackberry, coffee, & a touch of caramel on the nose are followed by inviting flavors of ripe red fruits, baked fig, hints of toffee and vanilla, a touch of clove and soft integrated tannins.
Vineyard: 57% Copeland, 43% Schmidt Vineyard
Varietal: 92% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Franc, 1% Malbec
Analysis: 14.7% alcohol / volume
Aging: 20 months in French and American, 40% new
Harvested: September 23, and October 8, 2018
Critical Acclaim: Reviewed & approved by Doug Frost, Master Sommelier and Master of Wine.
Join our WINE CLUB and enjoy these amazing wines and pairing recipes each month. Plus, you’ll receive 10% off all retail wine purchases!