• 1 ½ pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams)
• 2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
• ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 48 square wonton wrappers
• 2 large egg whites, beaten until foamy
• ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) butter
• 1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
• chopped, toasted pecans (optional)
• Pierce potatoes all over with fork. Cook potatoes in microwave on high until soft throughout, about 6 minutes per side. Cool slightly. Cut potatoes in half; scoop 2 packed cups potato flesh into large bowl. Mix in brown sugar and nutmeg. Season sweet potato filling with salt and pepper.
• Line large baking sheet with plastic wrap. Place one wonton wrapper on work surface. Using pastry brush, lightly brush wrapper with beaten egg whites. Place one tablespoon sweet potato filling in center of wrapper. Top with another wrapper. Press edges together to seal. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. (Can be made up to 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
• Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Cook until butter begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Carefully mix in vinegar and thyme.
• Meanwhile, working in batches, cook ravioli in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, carefully transfer ravioli to hot butter sauce; spoon sauce over to coat ravioli. Transfer to plates. Sprinkle with pecans, if desired; serve immediately. © Recipe courtesy of Bon Appétit, Feb 2003
MELLOW WINE STYLE
Founded in 1871 by Luigi Ghione, Ca’ de Lion winery takes its name from the family ancestor Leone Ghione (1655). Generations of expertise in Piedmont have elevated this artisanal producer to its highest level. Farming sustainably and naturally, the wines from this estate show a purity of flavor. The depth and nuance of the wine vibrates and speaks of the place where it comes from, in the Canelli hills. This vintage was hand-harvested in the middle of September and vinified traditionally in stainless steel tanks, then refined in bottle. It’s a spectacular, unique and indigenous blend. The wine is velvet in the mouth. Brilliant aromatics reveal layers of violet, fresh rose, luxardo cherry, and blackberry. Very light oak and lip-smacking acidity makes this a stellar wine that can be paired with a variety of foods. Serve with a light chill. The wine can be decanted 30 minutes prior to serving.
“Ruby color with orange tones. Lasting scent with airy perfume, rich with violet and rose. Rounded and very fresh on the palate, light and velvety tannins. Open and let breathe before serving, pairs well with game and cheese.” – Silvio Ghione, Winemaker
Winemaker: Silvio Ghione
Appellation: Piedmont, Italy
Varietal: 60% Ruché, 40% Pinot Nero
Analysis: 13% alcohol / volume
Critical Acclaim: 93pts Wine Enthusiast 2013; Reviewed and approved by Doug Frost, Master Sommelier and Master of Wine
Join our WINE CLUB and enjoy these amazing wines and pairing recipes each month. Plus, you’ll receive 10% off all retail wine purchases, 4 free tasting tickets and special discounts to attend wine tasting events, classes and more! Learn more >