Caprese Pesto Pasta Bake
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped herbs, such as thyme or oregano (I like a mix of both)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 pound short cut pasta
- 3/4 cup basil pesto, homemade or store-bought
- 2–3 cup fresh baby spinach
- 8 ounces shredded or torn mozzarella or burrata cheese
- 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto (optional)
- fresh basil, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch Pyrex deep baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cover the bottom of your Pyrex dish with olive oil. In the pan, toss together the cherry tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, herbs, crushed red pepper flakes, and a large pinch of salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast for 10-15 minutes or until the tomatoes collapse.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and add the pasta back to the pot. Immediately toss with the pesto, spinach, and half of the cheese. Add the tomatoes and all the juices from the tomatoes and gently toss to combine. Season with freshly ground black pepper and salt. Transfer the pasta back into the Pyrex dish used to roast the tomatoes.
- Evenly sprinkle the remaining cheese over top the pasta, arrange the prosciutto, if using, over the cheese. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the prosciutto is crisp. Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh basil. Enjoy!
© Recipe courtesy of Tieghan from Half Baked Harvest.
JUNE WINE CLUB:
Duca Carlo Guarini
Burdi Negroamaro Rosso IGT Puglia
BOLD WINE STYLE
A red wine made from Negroamaro organic certified grapes. It is deep ruby red in color. On the nose it is intense of red fruits and berries, while on the palate it is well balanced and fruity. It is suited to all courses, but pairs exceptionally well with roasts, cheeses and pasta.
Varietal: 100% Negroamaro
Analysis: 13% alcohol / volume
Description: IGT Red Puglia
Yield: 100,000 kg. per hectare
Vinification: Nine days maceration with skins, temperature controlled fermentation
ABOUT DUCA CARLO GUARINI:
For centuries, Guarini has cultivated their vineyards in the Puglia region of Italy. Their mission is to protect the heritage of the wines in this region, with organic, native grapes vinified in red, rosé and white. All of their wines are mono-varietal, organic and expertly made to respect and express the land where they grow. Learn more about their history here.