Pulled Pork Sandwich
- 1 ea boneless pork butt (5 to 7 lbs)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup salt
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 tbsp black pepper, toasted and ground
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix evenly. Rub the mixture into the meat.
- Place the entire pork butt onto a foil lined baking pan with 2 cups of water and cover for 2 hours. After the two hours, reduce heat to 300 degrees and continue to cook for 4 to 5 more hours basting the meat every hour with the cooking liquid. Be prepared that there will be steam when you peel back the foil.
- Carefully remove the meat from the oven. To test whether the meat is done, stick a fork into the meatiest side (versus the top) of the pork butt and the fork should easily twist. If there is a lot of resistance, continue to cook covered for an additional hour. Once the meat is fully cooked, allow to rest for about 30 to 45 minutes in it’s cooking liquid. Then shred the meat.
- A portion of the meat can be mixed with a small amount of cooking liquid- cooking liquid may be salty therefore add sparingly!
- Serve the shredded pulled pork on your favorite roll or baguette with a fresh cabbage slaw or favorite condiments such as mustard, BBQ sauce, pickles and/or butter.
© Recipe courtesy of Canvasback.
SEPTEMBER WINE CLUB:
MELLOW WINE STYLE
This wine is ruby red in color with purple nuances tending to garnet with aging. The nose and the palate are very elegant. It contains fruity flavors like blueberry and blackberry with vanilla and toasted high quality notes. It is soft, full-bodied and persistent on the palate.
Varietals: 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot
Analysis: 14% alcohol / volume
Denomination: IGP Trevenezie
Serving Temperature: 64.4ºF
Food Pairing: This wine is perfect for roast meat, especially pork, lamb, goat or game.
A champion, characterized by vibrant violet hues, with a clear and persistent smell which is added by the balsamic fragrance from the oak. Captivating and creamy notes of Blackberry dominate the palate. A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot expresses itself wonderfully with its strong texture. It charms with spectacular flavors from various types of jam. – Reguta winery
Located in the province of Udine, near the Friulian Riviera, the Reguta Winery has been owned and operated by the same family since 1928. Founded by Ettore Anselmi, the winery has since been passed down to his sons, Giuseppe and Luigi – who are teaching the same principles to their own sons today. Giuseppe and Luigi are constantly looking to improve their wines. With their years of experience and great traditions coupled with their outlook for the future, they are able to adopt the most advanced production technologies to ensure their wines are the best quality, while enhancing the uniqueness of their land. Learn more about Reguta’s history here.
© Information provided by Reguta.