August Bubbly Club: Iowa

Bubbly Wine ClubDSC_0588-EditPOE Wines
NV Ultraviolet Sparkling Rosé

Napa, California

BUBBLY WINE STYLE

NV Ultraviolet Sparkling Rosé is a base of 85% Coombsville Cabernet Franc Rosé, made from the grapes that go into POE’s Ultraviolet Cabernet Sauvignon. The remaining 15% is French Colombard from Mendocino.  This sparkling rosé has aromatics of lemon blossoms and strawberry, the palate shows lovely minerality and fine bubbles, with underripe strawberry, peach, and orange peel, with a lingering bright grapefruit on the finish.

WINEMAKING:
POE had been making Champagne method sparkling wines for six years, when they decided to make a playful, fruit driven California sparkling wine, by utilizing the Charmant method.  As opposed to fermenting in the bottle, POE takes their sparkling base and instigates a second fermentation in stainless steel, utilizing yeast and sugar.  This is the same process as the Champagne method, but in a different vessel.  The fermentation is kept cold, and lasts seven weeks.  After a few months of rest, they bottle under cork.


ABOUT POE WINES:
Samantha Sheehan founded POE in 2009 after being inspired by the wines she tasted in Burgundy and Champagne.  The goal was not to replicate Burgundy, but rather create alluring, vineyard specific, age-worthy wines revealing the beautiful terroir of California.  There is minimal intervention, judicious use of sulfur, and never any additives. POE produces traditional Champagne method sparkling wines, Rosé, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and a nouveau from Pinot Noir.  Each wine is made in very limited quantities, and sold directly from the winery and to high-end restaurants around the country. 

Owner/Winemaker Sam Poe Sheehan

POE Vineyards© POE Wines

Bubbly Wine ClubBodkin Sparkling Sauv BlancBodkin Wines
Sparkling Sauvignon Blanc

Healdsburg, California

BUBBLY WINE STYLE

Bodkin Wines is proud to release the fourth cuvée of California’s first Sparkling Sauvignon Blanc. This unique and stylish twist on Sauvignon Blanc has a core of racy crispness driven by lively acidity, accented with lemon-lime aromas (no cat grass — no worries) and citrus-passion fruit flavors. The pronounced citrus tones team with a note of toasted hazelnuts to accent the enchantingly plush mouth feel of the wine. The wine is called Cuvée Agincourt in reference to the Battle of Agincourt during the Hundred Years War. In 1415 where the English army comprised largely of archers armed with Bodkin pointed arrows beat back a French army much more numerous and comprised of the nation’s high nobility.

VARIETY: 100% Sauvignon Blanc
ALCOHOL: 11.5%

DOSAGE: Brut

ABOUT BODKIN WINES:
Bodkin Wines was founded by Chris Christensen, an Iowa native, in 2011. His passion for aromatic wines and winemaking led him to create America’s first Sauvignon Blanc with bubbles. In 2013, Andrew Chambers, an Oregon native, joined the brand and they purchased 24 tons and made 1,100 cases of their award-winning Sparkling Sauvignon Blanc. Since that time, Bodkin Wines has produced over 15 varietals of wine, eleven of which were scored at 90 points or higher by Wine Enthusiast. They are consistently growing, year after year, but are determined to keep their presence small and unique. Bodkin Wines is still 100% owned by both Chris and Andrew, two guys living and working hard in Sonoma County.

ee5774_c9f6ce12a8fe4898b27246fed2853b0b_mv2
Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 6.38.33 PM© Bodkin Wines

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s