Skirt Steak with Moroccan Spice Rub and Yogurt Sauce
- 1 ¼ pounds skirt steak, cut into 6-inch lengths
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons Moroccan Spice Rub
- ¾ cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapeños
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large pita breads, for serving
- Romaine lettuce leaves, for serving
- Light a grill. Rub the steaks all over with 3 tablespoons of the spice rub and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, scallions, garlic, jalapeños and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of the spice rub. Stir in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the steaks lightly with olive oil and grill over high heat, turning occasionally, for 7 to 8 minutes for medium-rare meat. Brush the pitas with olive oil and grill until lightly toasted, about 30 seconds. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steaks across the grain. Transfer the steaks to a platter and serve with the toasted pita, yogurt sauce and lettuce leaves.
© Recipe courtesy of Grace Parisi of Food & Wine.
OCTOBER WINE CLUB:
Costa del Maresme
MELLOW WINE STYLE
The Costa del Maresme is 100% Mediterranean in character. The nose and palate both highlight the ripe bunches of the Red Grenache and Syrah grapes.
Aging: Aged over lees around 8 months
Yield: 22 Hl/Ha
Vine aged: 35 years
Farming: Organic without herbicide, insecticide and inorganic fertilizers
Pruning: Royat doble
Height and exposition: 100 m, SE
Soil: Granites (“Sauló”)
Climate: Maritime Mediterranean
Winemaker: Xavier Garcia
Annual Production: 12,000 bottles
Aging Potential: Drink now or mature for up to 4 years
“Depending on the final ripeness of the different vineyards and varieties, each harvest’s final blend is formed. Varietal base was shared by Red Grenache and complemented with Syrah.” – Alella Vinícola
ABOUT ALELLA VINÍCOLA:
Alella Vinícola is a family winery passed down from generation to generation since 1906. Located just 9 miles north of Barcelona, the winery currently produces, makes and bottles wines and cavas in two designated origins, D.O. Alella and D.O. Cava. Now owned and operated by brothers Samuel and Xavier Garcia, they produce around 90,000 bottles each year, comprised of a dozen different wines. The brothers continue ensure they are producing all of their wines organically, free of herbicides, insecticides and inorganic fertilizers. Learn more about winery here.